LinkedIn and a Professional Image

I made a LinkedIn some time ago, but never really got around to filling information into it. At the time I was wavering in my aspirations and didn't really feel that a professional image was in my future. But now, as I near the (hopeful) end of my college career, I'm looking towards the internet for potential job opportunities. And LinkedIn is a wonderful tool for that.


So, job history in hand, I logged into LinkedIn and went about the daunting task of updating my online presence. LinkedIn fortunately makes it easy enough, with an 'Improve your Profile' feature that takes you step by step through adding information to your profile. With Walmart, Play N Trade, and Sams Club making up the bulk of my job history I have to say that I'm eager to add to my employment section. If anything, updating my LinkedIn profile has helped to give me a direction with where I want to go with my life. 

By the way, I've currently got two connections but I'd like more from around DSU and the English for New Media program so feel free to add me! My LinkedIn Profile

On the mission of cleaning up my online identity, I Googled my name. Having a distinctive name is both a blessing and a curse; the majority of the first seven pages of results were bits and pieces of my life. My Facebook privacy is set to high, leaving most of that information safely stored away. My Twitter popped up, my Google+, and to my surprise a college scholarship profile from 2009. I quickly went about deleting and censoring profiles as necessarily. I'd like to think of myself as a relatively good person; I stay out of trouble and thus don't have much to worry about online. So the pruning of my Google results amounted to mostly removing profiles that 13 year-old me had set up. My twitter history is the next on the chopping block. I recently hit 5,000 tweets and while nothing compromising hides in those tweets, I would like to do everything in my power to maintain a semi-professional image online.

0 comments:

Post a Comment